The Columbia Population Research Center is very pleased to offer limited funds in support of student travel to the annual conference of the Population Association of America.
For spring 2013, CPRC will award up to $500 to students presenting papers or posters at PAA. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until funds are depleted.
To be eligible to receive CPRC support, the applicant
- must be a student at Columbia as well as a CPRC Fellow;
- must be presenting a paper related to one of the Center’s four signature research areas: children, youth and families; HIV/AIDS and Reproductive Health; immigration/migration; and urbanism; and
- must also apply for department and school funding opportunities still available to them, such as the
- the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Funding to Attend Conferences Awards (Deadline is March 3)
- the Graduate Student Advisory Council Research Student Travel Grant (Deadline is February 22)
- the Student Conference Travel Fund Program sponsored by the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) at the Mailman School of Public Health, (Applications must be received 2 months prior to conference) and
- any departmental student travel funds.
To apply for CPRC funding, email the following to Mariela Alburges (email@example.com):
- a copy of the conference acceptance letter or email (please pdf original email or forward it; do not embed in word document)
- a copy of the abstract accepted for presentation
- a breakdown of anticipated costs (please attach as excel document)
- a brief explanation of department/school funding already received, or a copy of application for department/school funding, or a copy of funding award letter from department/school
Responsibilities of Funding Recipients
Students who are awarded CPRC funding are expected to:
- allow CPRC to use their accepted research abstract on its website and in its publicity materials,
- acknowledge CPRC support from NICHD if the paper presented at conference gets published,
- upload the publication to Pub Med Central, and
- comply with the University policies regarding travel expenses as well as the instructions for reimbursement that will be sent with the award notification.
Please note that although CPRC will notify students of the funding award prior to the conference, funds will not be disbursed until the conference is over. To receive funds, you must save and submit original receipts to CPRC. Full instructions and forms will be sent with CPRC’s notification letter.
CPRC will reimburse students up to $500 for the following expenses, given the submission of receipts and the expense reporting form which will be sent with the notification of award.
Roundtrip Economy/Coach Airfare/Trainfare from New York City to Location of Conference
Tickets *must be* economy/coach and class must be clearly notated on receipt.
If conference location permits traveling by Amtrak, you should use Amtrak’s unreserved or reserved coach class of service. If traveling by Amtrak’s “Acela Express” train, a traveler should obtain business class tickets, as this is the lowest class of travel.
You should make your own travel reservations and get printouts of receipts and boarding passes, which you will need for reimbursement.
Transport to/from airport
(1) Taxi service to and from all three area airports cost with submission of a receipt that includes the point of departure and arrival and the total fare, plus tip.
(2) Subway and Air Tran with receipts.
(3) Personal vehicle. Auto mileage is $.55 per mile. A MapQuest printout of starting and ending destination will be required for reimbursement.
We will reimburse up to the PAA conference hotel daily rate of $223 per night, single or double, (plus taxes & occupancy fee), with receipt. Reasonable rates above this cost will be considered. A hotel reservation beginning Wednesday, April 10th, is an allowable expense. CPRC will pay for Wi-Fi fees. CPRC will not pay for room service, dry-cleaning, and/or calls on the hotel phone. It is beneficial to make your reservations early so you don’t get bumped to another hotel.
With submission of itemized receipts, meals will be reimbursed at the following rates:
Breakfast - Up to $15 for food, plus tax and tip
Lunch – Up to $20 for food, plus tax and tip
Dinner – Up to $30 for food, plus tax and tip (alcohol is not an allowed expense)
PAA registration and/or membership fees
Please be sure to include a receipt or credit card statement as proof of payment for reimbursement purposes.